Welcome to Verra’s May Newsletter!
We are pleased to share that we recently published the draft of the new consolidated REDD methodology – a major milestone in the years-long process to update our approach to REDD and ensure the integrity and quality of forest carbon credits.
As part of our continued effort to streamline our project review processes, we are implementing changes that will result in a shortened timeline for evaluating project requests such as registration and verification approval.
Verra’s Plastic Team has been busy preparing for the second session of the Intergovernmental Negotiating Committee on plastic pollution. Plastic Credits will play a key role in addressing plastic pollution downstream, and we have therefore published a commentary on five things you should know about Plastic Credits.
Verra, alongside IETA and other organizations, is supporting an important survey from Trove Research on investment activity in the carbon credit sector. The deadline for this survey has been extended to 12 May. We hope you will consider participating.
- Verra publishes draft of new consolidated REDD methodology, initiates jurisdictional data development
- Verra streamlines project review process
- Verra and Panama sign MOU to support development of a national carbon market
- Verra and Zambia Industrial Commercial Bank sign MOU to support climate action in Zambia
- Verra approves three new auditors for the VCS Program
- Verra increases transparency around VCS methodologies under development
- Verra extends grace period for projects using CDM afforestation and reforestation methodologies
- Invitation to apply: ocean carbon working group
- Verra issues Erratum and Clarification to the VCS Standard
Plastic Waste Reduction Program
Verra Staff at Events
Verra staff participate regularly in events. For a comprehensive list, please check our events page. May highlights include:
- 2-3 May, Carbon Forward Asia 2023
- 2-6 May, European University Institute Climate Week
- David Antonioli, CEO
- 9-11 May, Global Forest Observations Initiative Plenary 2023
- 23-25 May, Innovate4Climate
- 29 May-2 June, Second Session of the Intergovernmental Negotiating Committee on Plastic Pollution
We also would like to bring your attention to two upcoming Greenbiz events:
- Don’t miss Circularity 23, the leading convening of professionals building the circular economy (June 5-7, Seattle)! Join us and the growing community of more than 1,200 visionaries and practitioners to move beyond incremental action, catalyze systems change, and accelerate the circular economy. Apply the 10% discount code V23VERRA when you register today: http://bit.ly/3HBpmim
- Join the growing community of finance, investment, and sustainability leaders supporting the just transition to a decarbonized economy at GreenFin 23 (June 26-28, Boston). By attending, you’ll gain access to inspiring keynotes, engaging breakout sessions, and valuable networking. Apply the 10% discount code GF23VERRA10 when you register today: http://bit.ly/3ExtO17
If you’d like to invite a Verra team member to speak at your event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.