Verra staff will attend the second meeting of the Intergovernmental Negotiating Committee (INC-2) (external site) to develop an international legally binding instrument to curb plastic pollution, including in the marine environment. The session will take place in Paris, France, 29 May-2 June 2023.
David Antonioli, CEO; Komal Sinha, Director, Plastics and Sustainable Development Policy and Markets; and Kristen Linscott, Senior Program Officer, Plastics Policy and Markets will attend INC-2 on behalf of Verra.
Verra has previously published a commentary on why high-integrity plastic crediting programs, such as Verra’s Plastic Waste Reduction Program (Plastic Program), can help achieve the goals of the Global Plastic Treaty.
Tuesday, 30 May
Date/Time: Tuesday, 30 May 2023 at 9:00 am CET
Verra will host a panel featuring representatives from stakeholder groups across the plastic value chain to discuss how the Plastic Standard and Plastic Credits can help advance the treaty’s goals.
Thursday, 1 June
Date/Time: Thursday, 1 June 2023, at 1:30-2:45 pm CET
Location: UNESCO headquarters, Paris
- Maryam AlMansoori (General Manager, Rebound Plastic Exchange)
- Kate Bailey (Chief Policy Officer, Association of Plastic Recyclers)
- Moe Tuisiga Saitala Paulo (Environment Impact Assessment Officer, Department of Environment, Government of Tuvalu)
- Rolph Payet (Executive Secretary of the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm conventions, BRS Secretariat)
- Jacob Rognhaug (VP Public Affairs System Design, Tomra/WBCSD)
- Komal Sinha (Director, Plastics and Sustainable Development Policy and Markets, Verra)
The panelists will discuss how Plastic Credits can finance projects that scale up collection and recycling capacity and improve livelihoods.
- Commentary: “Five Things You Should Know About Plastic Credits“
- Announcement: “Verra Becomes UNEP Observer and Will Participate in Global Plastic Treaty Negotiations”
- Announcement: “Verra Publishes Recommendations for Global Plastic Treaty”
- Document: Verra’s written submission to the INC Secretariat