Verra plans to release a request for proposals (RFP) for Scope 3 Program pilot projects in early 2024. Verra’s Scope 3 Program, which aims to unlock immediate and large-scale investment in supply chain climate action, is currently under development with an expected launch date of 2025.
Pilot projects will need to adapt a Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) Program methodology for use in the Scope 3 Program and pilot it alongside a preliminary version of the Scope 3 Standard Program. Please see below for VCS methodologies that will be prioritized for adaptation by pilot projects and those that are excluded from piloting. Proposals should include a description of the pilot project as well as an overview of resources they will require (e.g., experts with methodology development experience and capacity) to adapt a VCS methodology. Verra is releasing this preliminary announcement so applicants can begin to coordinate their proposals and teams.
Adapting a methodology will involve the review and potential revision of several components to support corporate inventory accounting, including the applicability conditions, project boundaries, additionality, baseline design, and disaggregation of emission sources, sinks, and reservoirs. Additional components may include the definition of impacted products, as well as the creation of rules for attribution and allocation of emission reductions and removals.
Following the release of the RFP in early 2024, Verra will select projects and piloting will start later in 2024.
- VM0041 Methodology for the Reduction of Enteric Methane Emissions from Ruminants through the Use of Feed Ingredients, v2.0
- VM0042 Methodology for Improved Agricultural Land Management, v2.0
- VM0045 Methodology for Improved Forest Management Using Dynamic Matched Baselines from National Forest Inventories, v1.0
- VM0046 Methodology for Reducing Food Loss and Waste, v1.0
- VM0047 Afforestation, Reforestation, and Revegetation, v1.0
- CN0095 Methodology for Improved Efficiency of Fleet Vehicles and Combustion Engines
- CN0128 Revision to VM0043: Methodology for CO2 Utilization in Concrete Production, v1.0
- M0191 Methodology for Alternative Low Carbon Fuels in Shipping
- M0222 Revision to VM0038: Methodology for Electric Vehicle Charging Systems, v1.0 and VMD0049: Activity Method for Determining Additionality of Electric Vehicle Charging Systems, v1.0
- M0228 Methodology for Less Carbon Raw Material Conversion in Concrete Production
- All methodologies covering avoided conversion project activities: VM0004, VM0010, and VM0011
- All REDD methodologies, due to the transition to a new REDD methodology, which will not be ready to implement for piloting in the Scope 3 Standard Program in 2024
Note: These methodologies are not necessarily excluded from use in the Scope 3 Standard Program.