14. Agriculture, Forestry, Land Use
Ineligible Pending Methodology Update
Active since 30 May 2023
This methodology quantifies the greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reductions and soil organic carbon (SOC) removals resulting from the adoption of improved agricultural land management (ALM) practices. Such practices include, but are not limited to, reduced tillage and improvements in fertilizer application, biomass residue and water management, cash and cover crop planting and harvesting practices, and grazing practices.
Please note: Projects that have already requested listing on the Verra Registry before 30 May 2023 may complete validation using the previous version within six months.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on VM0042 Methodology for Improved Agricultural Land Management, v2.0 – Coming Soon!
VM0042 Methodology for Improved Agricultural Land Management, v2.0
Status: Active since 30 May 2023
Summary of Changes:
- Introduction of a baseline control sites option to allow for direct SOC measurement under Quantification Approach 2.
- Update of Section 8.6 on uncertainty assessment to clarify statistical procedures and align with the VCS Methodology Requirements.
- Introduction of guidance on the use of proximal sensing technologies to estimate SOC content in Appendix 4.
- Introduction of an applicability condition allowing for one-time land conversion from grassland to cropland or vice versa to restore degraded lands in Section 4 and Appendix 2.
- Introduction of a requirement and procedures to account for emissions associated with use of agricultural limestone in Section 8.2.4.
- Introduction of a requirement to account for leakage from diversion of biomass residues used for energy applications in the baseline scenario in Section 8.4.4.
- General improvements, errata and clarifications.
Developer: The revisions were coordinated by Verra in-house experts with technical input from TerraCarbon LLC and Viresco Solutions (on uncertainty assessment) as well as a range of expert stakeholders.
Dates of Public Consultation: 23 December 2021 to 5 February 2022
Summary of Public Consultation: VM0042, v2.0 Summary of Public Consultation (PDF)
VVB Assessment Report: VM0042, v2.0 VVB Assessment Report (PDF)
VM0042 Methodology for Improved Agricultural Land Management, v1.0 (PDF)
Status: Active from 19 October 2020 to 29 May 2023
Developer: Indigo Ag Inc., TerraCarbon LLC
Dates of Public Consultation: 5 June 2020 to 5 July 2020
Summary of Public Consultation: VM0042 and VMD0053, v1.0 Summary of Public Consultation (PDF)
VVB Assessment Report(s): VM0042 and VMD0053, v1.0 VVB Assessment Report (PDF)
Clarification: Clarifications to VM0042, v1.0 (PDF)