Welcome to Verra’s August Newsletter!
Many of you have seen and commented on John Oliver’s Last Week Tonight show on carbon offsets. In an effort to put punchlines over truth, the well-known comedian got one thing about this market right — and many others wrong. We have published a response to explain how Oliver’s “analysis” misses the big picture and misrepresents some of the basic rules behind credible greenhouse gas crediting.
Despite criticism such as John Oliver’s, social and environmental markets are continuing to expand and evolve rapidly, and Verra continues to adapt to meet their demands and the needs of those who rely on Verra for high-quality certification. Earlier this year, we announced changes to streamline and accelerate our processes without sacrificing quality and are pleased to share an update about those changes.
We are continuing to grow the team and our capacity. For example, we recently filled several key leadership roles; other searches are still ongoing. In addition, we are strengthening training and oversight of validation/verification bodies (VVBs). We are also preparing to launch our new stakeholder portal soon. The portal will significantly streamline project review and registration processes, and enable project proponents to check the status of their projects throughout the review process.
In other news, we recently opened the public consultation on Verra’s approach to third-party crypto instruments and tokens.
Please also note that we will take a few days in September to assemble the entire Verra team, which has grown tremendously over the past two years, together in person for an all-staff retreat. As a result, Verra’s offices and Registry administrative services will be closed from 12 to 16 September.
During that time, we will not be answering emails or calls, and we ask that you please plan ahead accordingly.
- Remodeling to Serve You Better: How Verra is Managing Change in a Fast-Moving Market
- John Oliver Puts Punchlines Over Truth
- Public Consultation: Verra’s Approach to Third-Party Crypto Instruments and Tokens
- Revision of Verra’s Avoiding Unplanned Deforestation and Degradation Project Methodologies: Update
- Verra Publishes VCS Biochar Methodology
- TGO and Verra Sign MOU to Support Voluntary Emission Reduction Program
- Singapore and Verra Sign MOU to Support National Carbon Tax
- Verra to Resume Project Site Visits
- Coming Soon: Consultation on Updates to the VCS Methodology Approval Process
- Nikkei Asia’s Half Truths and Innuendo Undermine Climate Progress
- Verra Welcomes New Legal Director
- Verra Welcomes New Senior Director of VCS Program Development
- Verra Offices and Registry Administrative Services Closed 12-16 September
- SD VISta — Nature Framework Advisory Group: Invitation to Apply
- July Sustainable Development Download
- Subscribe to the Sustainable Development Download Newsletter
- Verra Welcomes New Director for Plastic and Sustainable Development Policy and Markets
- Reminder: Plastic Project Review Timelines
- Call for Local Experts for Verra’s Plastic Program
Verra Staff at Events
Upcoming Events (Highlights)
- 6-8 September: Mexico Carbon Forum — Angelo Sartori, Director, Stakeholder Engagement, Liz Guinessey, Manager, Food and Blue Carbon Innovation, and Javier Gonzalez, Senior Program Officer, International Climate Policy
- 19-23 September: Climate Week NYC and 21-22 September: North America Climate Summit (IETA) — David Antonioli, CEO, Robin Rix, Chief Legal, Policy, and Markets Officer, Jerry Seager, Acting Chief Program Management Officer, Julie Baroody, Senior Director, Program Development and Forest Carbon Innovation, Andrew Howard, Senior Director, Climate Policy and Strategy, Candace Vinke, Senior Director, Nature-based Innovation, Benoît Clément, Director, Financial Innovation, Sinclair Vincent, Director, Sustainable Development Innovation and Markets, Payal Gosh, Manager, Technological and Industrial Solutions
Past Events (Highlights)
- In the latest episode of the ReFiPodcast, Benoît Clément, Director, Financial Innovation, discussed how to balance openness to financial innovation and the need for integrity and standards in the #carbonmarkets.
- Stefan Jirka, Senior Manager, Agriculture Innovation, spoke on high-quality carbon removal at the 2022 North American Biochar & Bioenergy Conference.
If you’d like to invite a Verra team member to speak at your event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photos: Jeremy Bezanger (top), Vivianne Lemay (bottom)