As is tradition by now, important events in the environmental and social markets take place as we near the end of the calendar year. In less than two weeks, representatives from governments and observer organizations will be traveling to Dubai to attend the UN Climate Change Conference (COP28). The Verra team will be on the ground as well, hosting several events and speaking at a number of others. We look forward to connecting with many of you. Please see our website announcement “Connect with Verra at COP28 in Dubai” for more details about our activities.
Meanwhile, in Nairobi, the third meeting of the Intergovernmental Negotiating Committee (INC-3) to develop an international legally binding instrument to curb plastic pollution is drawing to an end. Verra’s Plastic Team was in attendance to advocate for the use of Plastic Credit finance as a valuable mechanism to support the Global Plastic Treaty’s objectives.
We would also like to remind you that the deadline is fast approaching to participate in the public consultation on Verra’s SD VISta Nature Framework (PDF), which aims to certify and incentivize widespread investment in measurable positive biodiversity outcomes benefiting nature and people. Please make sure to submit your feedback (external) by November 19, 2023.
Finally, we want to give you a heads up that two important announcements, one about our ICVCM submission and one about the launch of our new REDD methodology, will arrive in your inbox in the next two weeks. Stay tuned!
- Verra Launches Public Consultation on ABACUS Market Label for Nature-Based Removal Credits
- Consultation on Revision to Methodology for Avoided Emissions from Biomass Waste
- Public Consultation on Non-Native Monoculture Requirement in the VCS Standard
- Request for Proposals: Development of Greenhouse Gas Accounting Methodologies for Sustainable Food Systems
- Verra Issues RFP for Additional Jurisdictional Activity Data
- Verra Encourages Review of Proposed Baseline Validity Periods
- How Forests Found Protection in Voluntary Carbon Markets
- Webinar: AFOLU Non-Permanence Risk Assessment Calculator Training
- Verra Registers First Plastic Project in Africa and a Least Developed Country
- Plastic Program Newsletter Issue #2
Scope 3 Standard Program
- Verra Launches Scope 3 Standard Program Development Group
- Verra to Release Request for Proposals for Scope 3 Standard Program Pilot Projects
Verra’s Commitment to Integrity and Quality
Verra supports environmental and social markets through robust standards programs, and we are committed to the continuous improvement of these programs.
Verra encourages transparency in the markets it serves, while also welcoming scrutiny by the media and the broader scientific and environmental community. In accordance with these principles, we recently responded to some publicly raised criticism:
- Verra Statement on New Allegations About the Kasigau Corridor REDD Project
- Statement by Verra on Today’s South Pole Kariba Announcement and Reporting on the Buffer Pool
- Verra Statement on the New Yorker Article of October 16, 2023
The voluntary carbon market (VCM) plays a critical role in advancing urgently needed climate action by driving finance to projects that implement a range of climate-mitigating activities. To ensure that the VCM and other environmental and social markets can reach their full potential, Verra will continue to take seriously any concerns brought to us. We will continue to develop and manage high-integrity standards programs to effectively advance climate action and sustainable development.
As part of the New Era for Verra, we are committed to scaling our impact, engaging actively with all stakeholders, and earning trust through operational excellence.
Verra Staff at Events
We would like to bring your attention to an upcoming event:
- Connect with a vibrant community of peers and trailblazers at GreenBiz 24 (Feb. 12–14, 2024, Phoenix, AZ), the premier gathering of sustainable business leaders seeking hands-on, tangible solutions. Choose from more than 50 sessions to learn what’s next in decarbonization, supply chain, biodiversity, and much more. Apply the 10% discount code GB24VERRA when you register here: https://buff.ly/3thMy1X (external).
For a comprehensive list of all upcoming events, please check our events page. If you’d like to invite a Verra team member to speak at your event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.