Verra is continuing to update and/or inactivate its existing REDD methodologies and modules and provide guidance for proponents of Avoiding Unplanned Deforestation projects as they transition their projects to Verra’s transformative new REDD methodology, VM0048 Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation. (Please also see the previous program notice on initial methodology updates and inactivations.)
Updates to VM0015
Verra has made the following updates to VM0015 Methodology for Avoided Unplanned Deforestation, v1.1:
- Incorporated the December 13, 2014, erratum regarding the omission of error propagation
- Incorporated the November 3, 2017, clarification regarding post-deforestation carbon stock increase
- Excluded accounting for carbon stock enhancement
- Added a requirement to determine the most plausible baseline scenario
- Added a stepwise process for testing greenhouse gas emissions significance
- Excluded the modeling approach to project future deforestation
- Updated requirements to delineate the reference region
The following effective dates pertain to the use of VM0015, v1.1:
- For new projects and projects where the public comment period has not been initiated (i.e., where the proponent has not yet requested pipeline listing “under validation”) before December 19, 2023, proponents have until March 19, 2024, to do so to continue using VM0015, v1.1.
- For projects where a public comment period has been initiated or will be initiated before March 15, 2024, proponents have until March 19, 2025, to complete validation using VM0015, v1.1. If their projects have been successfully validated by then, proponents may be able to use VM0015, v1.1 until they have to transition to VM0048 or until the next baseline reassessment or crediting period renewal, whichever is the earliest.
- For projects validated using previous versions of the methodology, proponents may be able to use these versions until they have to transition to VM0048 or until the next baseline reassessment or crediting period renewal, whichever is the earliest.
- All other project proponents must use VM0015, v1.2 until they have to transition to VM0048.
Updates to VMD0051 and VMD0012
Verra is making minor updates to VMD0051 Methods for Monitoring of Carbon Stock Changes and Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Removals in Tidal Wetland Restoration and Conservation Project Activities (M-TW), which is used with VM007 REDD+ Methodology Framework (REDD+MF). These changes align VMD0051 with Verra’s new Non-Permanence Risk Tool for Agriculture, Forestry, and Other Land Use, which now incorporates risks associated with sea-level rise.
The updated version, VMD0051, v1.1, is effective immediately.
Verra is also inactivating VMD0012 Estimation of Emissions from Displacement of Fuelwood Extraction (LK-DFW), v1.0, as this module relates exclusively to avoided forest degradation and is no longer referred to in any active methodology.
The grace periods for the inactivation of VMD0012 are as follows:
- Projects that are listed (or requested pipeline listing) under development using VMD0012 must request pipeline listing under validation within three months of the announcement, i.e., before March 19, 2024.
- Project proponents that have initiated or will initiate a public comment period before March 19, 2024, have until December 19, 2024, to complete validation with VMD0012. If they complete validation by then, projects may continue to use this module until their next baseline reassessment or crediting period renewal, whichever is the earliest.
- Projects validated under VMD0012 may continue to use it until their next baseline reassessment or crediting period renewal, whichever is the earliest.