14. Agriculture, Forestry, Land Use
Approved 27 November 2023
This methodology ensures the integrity of greenhouse gas accounting for individual projects within a jurisdiction and enables the utilization of the most up-to-date science, data, and technologies.
VM0048 Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation is a framework that is to be used together with modules for specific activity types. VMD0055 Estimation of Emission Reductions From Avoiding Unplanned Deforestation is available now. Modules establishing similar requirements for forest degradation and planned deforestation are under development. The module for Avoiding Planned Deforestation is expected to be released in 2024.
For more information on the background to VM0048 and VMD0055, see the “Technical Background Note” webpage.
Status: Active since 27 Nov 2023
Mitigation Outcome Label Eligibility: Reduction
Developer: Verra developed this version with support from Tim Pearson (GreenCollar), Kevin R. Brown (Wildlife Conservation Society), Simon König (Climate Focus), Till Neef (independent consultant), Sarah M. Walker (Wildlife Conservation Society) and Lucio Pedroni (Carbon Decisions International). Additional input was provided by Igino Emmer (Silvestrum), David Shoch (TerraCarbon) and Manuel Estrada (independent consultant).
Dates of Public Consultation: 31 March 2022 – 30 May 2022
Summary of Public Consultation: VM0048 and VM0055 Summary of Public Consultation – coming soon!
The following draft modules were combined to form VM0048 and VMD0055. They were published during the public consultation:
- Determination of jurisdictional activity data baseline for unplanned deforestation (J-ADB-UD) (PDF)
- Estimation of baseline greenhouse gas emission within the project area and leakage belt from unplanned deforestation (BL-UD) (PDF)
- Estimation of emissions from activity shifting for avoiding unplanned deforestation (LK-UD-AS) (PDF)
- Methods for monitoring greenhouse gas emissions within the project boundary and leakage belt from unplanned deforestation (MON-AUD) (PDF)
- AUD Methodology Application Guide (PDF)
Verra hosted two webinars related to this public consultation:
VVB Assessment Report: VM0048, v1.0 VVB Assessment Report (PDF)
VM0048 Versions Submitted for Assessment:
- October 2023: Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation, v0.7 (PDF); Methodology for Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation DRAFT, v0.6 (PDF)
- July 2023: Methodology for Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation DRAFT, v0.3 (PDF)
- April 2023: Methodology for Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation DRAFT, v0.1 (PDF)
Verra hosted a webinar on Thursday, 20 April 2023 to provide an overview of the draft methodology and module.