Plastic Credits generated by Verra-certified projects can complement businesses’ plastic stewardship goals while scaling up global plastic waste collection and recycling infrastructure.
Complement Your Plastic Stewardship Goals
Investing in plastic waste management through Plastic Credits helps businesses achieve their plastic stewardship goals by scaling downstream collection systems and recycling infrastructure. This generates the recycled plastic needed to meet ambitious recycled content targets, addresses evolving regulatory pressures, and accelerates the transition to a circular economy for plastics.
WHAT IS VERRA’S PLASTIC PROGRAM?
Verra’s Plastic Waste Reduction Program (Plastic Program) accomplishes the following:
- Mobilizes finance for the development of plastic waste collection and recycling infrastructure.
- Certifies new or scaled-up projects that collect and/or recycle plastic waste.
- Enables the independent verification of the collection and recycling outcomes of Plastic Program projects.
- Issues Plastic Credits to projects based on the volume of plastic waste collected from nature and/or recycled above baseline rates.
How does Verra’s Plastic Program catalyze and scale plastic waste collection and recycling?
Learn how one project is using its certification in Verra’s Plastic Program to scale up plastic waste collection and recycling in Senegal.
BENEFITS OF INVESTING IN VERRA-CERTIFIED PLASTIC PROJECTS
For the planet
- Scale plastic waste collection systems that reduce the amount of plastic waste in nature.
- Catalyze and scale critical recycling infrastructure.
- Improve livelihoods and offer dignified work.
- Mitigate the risks that disproportionately affect the informal waste sector through robust health and safety requirements.
- Promote equity and inclusion by supporting projects that engage local communities.
For the economy
- Increase the likelihood that remaining downstream plastic will be managed appropriately, thereby complementing efforts to reduce plastic upstream.
- Generate the supply of recycled plastic needed to meet ambitious recycled content targets.
- Accelerate the transition to a circular economy for plastics.
WHY DOES VERRA CERTIFICATION MATTER?
Verra certification ensures traceable and verified collection and recycling outcomes above what would occur in the absence of the project. The following elements of the Plastic Program add credibility to a company’s investment in plastic waste management:
- Projects are certified with Verra’s Plastic Waste Reduction Standard (PDF), the world’s most rigorous standard for projects seeking issuance of Plastic Credits.
- The collection and/or recycling outcomes of each project are monitored, measured, and reported using publicly available accounting methodologies.
- Every project is regularly audited by an independent, third-party validation/verification body.
Read about the rules and requirements that projects must follow to be issued Plastic Credits through Verra’s Plastic Program.
Read about the Plastic Program methodologies that detail how a project’s collection or recycling outcomes are quantified.
TRANSPARENCY THROUGH VERRA’S REGISTRY
The Verra Registry (external) is the cornerstone of the implementation of Verra’s standards programs. It facilitates the transparent listing of information on registered projects, projects pursuing registration, and issued and retired units. It also enables the trading of Plastic Credits. Each Plastic Credit has a unique serial number (PDF) associated with it. Plastic Credits may also be labeled with additional certifications.
To view Plastic Credits and registered projects, visit the Verra Registry (external).
Note: Verra maintains an impartial position in the market and does not hold, transact, or solicit trades of Plastic Credits.
Plastic Credits are not suitable investments for individuals. If you have been approached to purchase Plastic Credits as an investment or if you have any questions, please contact Verra.