14. Agriculture, Forestry, Land Use
Verra ran a public consultation on updates to all VCS Avoiding Unplanned Deforestation and/or Degradation (AUDD) methodologies (VM0006, VM0007, VM0009, VM0015, and VM0037). The purpose of the proposed revisions was to ensure consistency of these methodologies while Verra transitions to a new consolidated REDD methodology.
Verra decided to transition to its new Consolidated REDD Methodology instead of undertaking the proposed revisions.
The following is a list of updates that were open for consultation and that would be included in all AUDD methodologies:
- Revisions to the procedures and criteria for delimiting reference regions;
- Standardization of the approach for projecting the location of future deforestation;
- Standardization of the approach for projecting deforestation rates using the historical average, unless a significant increasing or decreasing trend in the deforestation rate can be demonstrated; and
- Revisions to capturing remote sensing and field data uncertainties and ensuring conservative calculations of net emission reductions.
The proposed revisions (PDF) were developed with Verra’s guidance by Tim Pearson (GreenCollar), Till Neeff (independent consultant), and Simon König (Climate Focus).
Verra is now reviewing the submitted comments and will then revise each individual methodology and have it assessed by a validation/verification body to ensure that it meets the VCS Program rules and requirements.
The proposed revisions were open for public comment from 5 October to 6 November 2022.