13. Waste handling and disposal
VM044 v1.1 applies to projects that convert waste biomass into biochar at new production facilities. Biochar produced can be utilized in soil and non-soil applications.
The revision will likely include updates to the following:
- expand eligibility for existing biochar production facilities;
- procedures for demonstrating high-technology facilities, including consideration for construction or embodied emissions;
- the eligibility of feedstocks, including invasive species and other new (not purpose-grown) feedstocks;
- the monitoring approach for measuring key parameters, including H: Corg ratio of biochar and moisture content;
- procedures for calculating feedstock transport emissions;
consideration for safe storage and transport of biochar;
- and other improvements identified throughout the development process.
Summary of Development
Verra is leading the development of the revision, as per Section 2.1.1(2) of the VCS Methodology Development and Review Process, v4.3 (PDF). Verra released a Request for Proposal (PDF) to find a qualified methodology developer to support the process (see the announcement for more details). Proposals will be received until the close of business Friday, January 26, 2024. Verra aims to finalize the selection of the consultant by Friday, February 16th, 2024, with the work to begin as soon as possible. The revision is currently at Step 3: Draft Methodology Development of the VCS Methodology Development and Review Process, 4.3 (PDF).
Stakeholders interested in collaborating during methodology development or developing projects that this methodology might enable are encouraged to contact email@example.com. Please include the Methodology Development ID# in the subject line.