13. Waste handling and disposal
Active since 05 July 2023
This methodology quantifies the carbon dioxide removals resulting from the conversion of waste biomass into biochar at new biochar production facilities. Eligible soil and non-soil applications include crop- and grasslands and emerging products such as biochar-amended concrete and building materials. This methodology is applicable globally.
- Version 1.1 includes Errata and Clarifications. The tracked changes version of the methodology is available under Development History below. All new projects and projects on the Verra Registry must complete validation using the new version 1.1.
VM0044 Methodology for Biochar Utilization in Soil and Non-Soil Applications, v1.1
Status: Active since 5 July 2023
Summary of Changes: Version 1.1 includes the following clarifications and corrections:
- Clarifications to eligible feedstocks in Section 4.
- Clarifications to eligible land types for soil application in Section 4.
- Corrections and clarifications to GHG sources included in the project boundary in Table 2.
- Corrections to equations in Section 8.
- Clarifications to parameters available at validation in Section 9.
- Clarifications to the procedure for reassessing the standardized activity method in Appendix 1.
- Clarifications to the procedures for demonstrating feedstocks as waste biomass in Appendix 2.
- General improvements, corrections, and clarifications.
Tracked Changes Document: VM0044 Methodology for Biochar Utilization in Soil and Non-Soil Applications, v1.1 – Greenlined (PDF)
Dates of Public Consultation: N/A
Summary of Public Consultation: N/A
VVB Assessment Report: N/A
VM0044 Methodology for Biochar Utilization in Soil and Non-Soil Applications, v1.0 (PDF)
Status: Active from 12 Aug 2022 to 4 July 2023
Grace period: No grace period is given since v1.1 includes relevant Errata and Clarifications.
Developer: FORLIANCE, South Pole, Delaney Forestry Services, Biochar Works (all open on external sites)
Dates of Public Consultation: 10 August 2021 to 8 September 2021
Summary of Public Consultation: VM0044, v1.0 Link to Summary of Comments (PDF)
VVB Assessment Report: VM0044, v1.0 VVB Assessment report (PDF)
The consultation for this updated methodology was open from 10 July 2023 to 9 August 2023.
Any feedback received will be considered for inclusion in version 2.0 of VM0044 Methodology for Biochar Utilization in Soil and Non-Soil Applications. Verra expects to begin the revision process later this year, with an anticipated release of version 2.0 in 2024.