Verra has partnered with DBS, Google Cloud, the Centre for Nature-based Climate Solutions at the National University of Singapore (NUS), Temasek, and the World Bank who launched the Sustaintech Xcelerator, a six-month global virtual accelerator focused on developing tools that will improve the monitoring and verification of environmental, social, and economic impacts of nature-based solutions (NbS).
The Sustaintech Xcelerator is inviting applications from start-ups, established companies, and academics using emerging technologies to help streamline nature-based carbon credit monitoring and verification by lowering costs and reducing site visits. The application deadline is Friday, January 15, 2021 at 23:59 p.m. Singapore Time (10:59 am EST; 15:59 pm GMT).
Sustaintech Xcelerator will provide selected applicants with mentorship through its world-leading partners and their networks. In addition, each selected applicant will receive:
- a SGD50,000 grant (approx. US$38,000);
- access to leading research expertise;
- in-kind resources including office space in Singapore (for local teams);
- the opportunity to engage in frequent pitching and speaking opportunities, including a public showcase with investors and media during Ecosperity Week in June 2021.
The Sustaintech Xcelerator will also support applicants to remain engaged following the program, through academic partnerships and commercial opportunities.
To be considered, applicants should present tangible solutions that address any of the NbS opportunity areas below; these technologies should complement necessary groundwork required for verifying the social impacts and help drive finance to NbS projects:
- Reducing the cost and/or improving the efficiency of monitoring and verification of emission reductions and sequestration;
- Valuing social- and biodiversity co-benefits;
- Providing ongoing monitoring of NbS assets;
- Improving financial transparency of NbS projects and programs.
Technologies and solutions that will be considered for the accelerator include remote sensing technologies, artificial intelligence, and climate science models that improve estimation of carbon sequestration and biodiversity, and IoT technologies for monitoring NbS projects.
David Antonioli, CEO of Verra, commented, “Verra is thrilled to be a knowledge partner to this important initiative. Verra is eager to incorporate new technologies into the monitoring and verification of carbon credits under the Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) Program, the world’s largest voluntary greenhouse gas program.The Sustaintech Xcelerator’s focus on Natural-based Solutions will help streamline and scale project development in this important sector.”
For more information on The Sustaintech Xcelerator and to apply, please visit: https://www.sustaintechx.com/
Join Verra at the North American Carbon World Conference