Food that is lost or wasted accounts for 8 percent of global annual greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. Halving the current rate of food loss and waste by 2050 could lower global GHG emissions by 15 gigatons CO2e. In addition to these climate benefits, avoiding food loss and waste has compelling environmental and social benefits, such as reducing the amount of water spent on growing fresh produce and sustaining livestock that is then lost or wasted, as well as improving food security.
New partnerships and technologies to address food loss and waste are rapidly emerging but lack financial sustainability. As corporations involved in food production, processing and sale supply chains increasingly consider emissions from food loss and waste as part of their Scope 3 accounting, this is an opportune time to develop a food loss and waste methodology under Verra’s Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) program, the world’s largest GHG crediting program. Finance from the sale of carbon credits could drive much-needed finance to activities that reduce food loss and waste.
Verra is therefore seeking a consultant to lead the development of a VCS methodology for reducing emissions by avoiding food loss and waste. The consultant will:
- Scope the methodology by reviewing food loss and waste data sources and relevant GHG accounting indices and tools, conducting stakeholder interviews, and considering the potential applicability of this methodology in the Scope 3/insetting space;
- Prepare and submit a full draft methodology;
- Review and respond to received inquiries during the public comment period; and
- Manage the progression of the methodology through a third-party assessment process; and
- Produce the final draft of the methodology.
Please view the request for proposals for further details, including the scope of work, deliverables, timelines, and requisite skills and qualifications to apply.
The deadline for proposals is Wednesday, 16 June 2021. For further questions, please contact Julianne Baroody at email@example.com.
Verra at NACW