As part of ongoing work to ensure all program elements meet or exceed evolving best practice, VCS will review several methodologies to ensure they align with program updates released today. Next steps will be announced on 30 March 2012.
VCS may determine that one or more methodologies need clarifications or updates. In this event, project proponents will have a six-month grace period to use the existing version of the methodology, meaning projects would need to complete validation by 30 September 2012.
It is expected that updated versions of most or all methodologies will be available before grace periods expire. VCS will work directly with methodology developers to make updates using the streamlined update procedure in the VCS Methodology Approval Process. In exceptional cases, VCS may recommend revisions that require submission to the full methodology approval process.
The following methodologies will be reviewed against new VCS requirements on timing the accounting of carbon released from certain AFOLU pools. While general good practice guidance is currently not explicit on accounting for the timing of stored carbon releases, new VCS requirements will ensure greater consistency in how methodologies approach this. We anticipate these methodologies could undergo the streamlined update procedure.
- VM0003 Methodology for Improved Forest Management through Extension of Rotation Age, v1.0
- VM0005 Methodology for Conversion of Low-productive Forest to High-productive Forest, v1.1
- VM0006 Methodology for Carbon Accounting in Project Activities that Reduce Emissions from Mosaic Deforestation and Degradation, v1.0
- VM0007 REDD Methodology Modules (REDD-MF), v1.1
- VM0009 Methodology for Avoided Mosaic Deforestation of Tropical Forests, v1.1
- VM0010 Methodology for Improved Forest Management: Conversion from Logged to Protected Forest, v1.1
- VM0011 Methodology for Calculating GHG Benefits from Preventing Planned Degradation (IFM), v1.0
- VM0012 Improved Forest Management on Privately Owned Properties in Temperate and Boreal Forests (LtPF), v1.0
- VM0015 Methodology for Avoided Unplanned Deforestation, v1.0
The following methodologies will be reviewed against VCS requirements on peatland rewetting and conservation and standardized methods.
- VM0004 Methodology for Conservation Projects that Avoid Planned Land Use Conversion in Peat Swamp Forests, v1.0
- VM0008 Methodology for Weatherization of Single and Multi-Family Buildings, v1.0
The review and update of methodologies is necessary to ensure all program elements meet or exceed evolving best practice. VCS will make every effort to minimize disruption during this process.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com.