Methodology Idea Note
14. Agriculture, Forestry, Land Use
On Hold 08 November 2023
The proposed methodology applies to project activities removing N2O from the atmosphere via the deployment of advanced titanium dioxide (TiO2)-based photocatalysts on crop leaves. Project proponents can apply the photocatalyst in their practices that will remove N2O from the atmosphere. Crop Intellect Ltd has a product approved for use in the US, UK, and European Union called R-Leaf®, where photocatalysts are altered through a specialized process selective for N2O gas and have been formulated in a simple-to-use tank-mixed formula with other inputs sprayed on plant leaves or any other surface area. The methodology can also be used by projects based on other photocatalytic technologies, equipment, or systems that remove N2O.
SUMMARY OF DEVELOPMENT
Crop Intellect submitted the methodology idea note (opens on external site) and is currently on hold, as per Section 3.1.5(2) of the VCS Methodology Development and Review Process, 4.3 (PDF). Verra has decided to put the development of the proposed methodology on hold because additional information is needed to ensure:
- the GHG quantification is scientifically robust; and,
- the proposed activities are environmentally safe.
Verra may reactivate the development of the proposed methodology if the following information is provided:
- Peer-reviewed, in-situ studies supporting the theoretical emissions reduction claims
- Peer-reviewed research demonstrating TiO2-doped photocatalyst particles larger than 1μm will not pose risks of bioaccumulation in both human and nonhuman biota
- Alternative methods for project proponents to monitor greenhouse gas emissions reduction and removal (GHG ERR) quantifications
Verra will reevaluate the status of this proposed methodology in Q1 2024. Stakeholders interested in collaborating during methodology development or developing projects that this methodology might enable are encouraged to contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Methodology Development ID# M0217 in the subject line.
Stakeholders interested in collaborating during methodology development or developing projects that this methodology might enable are encouraged to contact email@example.com. Please include the Methodology Development ID# M0217 in the subject line.